- In black hat SEO, one of the main techniques is to spam and keyword stuff the site’s meta tags. Keyword stuffing is the use of a string of keywords that do not make sense and are not in sync with the actual content of the site.
- In white hat SEO, the keywords that go into the meta tags are carefully chosen and logical. The keywords used are the same ones found on the pages of the site.
- Black hat SEO manipulates the site’s content to trick search engine bots into driving more traffic to the page. There are a number of ways this is done. One of the most often used one is creating and then hiding dummy keyword stuffed text on the website. The text is hidden by placing the text on a similar color background – usually, white text on a white background. It is visible to
- but not to human visitors.
- The idea is to mislead search engines to direct users to the site. In fact, in a number of instances, visitors may encounter content that is starkly different from what they were really looking for. White hat SEO on the other hand takes a more straight forward approach. Here, on page content is keyword optimized while maintaining a natural, logical flow of the text. Users directed to the site find what they were looking for.